This recipe comes from our very own Co-founder and Director at Hydrogrow, Arthur George. Why not add a little twist to your desserts by incorporating Basil into this Italian style pannacotta with fresh blackberry compete. Who said herbs have to stop at the main course?
Let's get into it!
- 70ml milk
- 2 vanilla pods, scored and seeds separated
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 375ml double cream
- 2 large bunches basil, chopped
- 1½ gelatine leaves, soaked in water
-1 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 mint leaves
On to the making!
- Put the milk, vanilla pods, vanilla seeds, lemon zest and half the cream into a small pan and slowly simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced by a third.
- Remove from the heat, remove the vanilla pods and stir in the chopped basil and gelatine leaves until dissolved. Place in the fridge, stirring occasionally, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the fridge and either strain the mixture through a fine sieve to remove the basil leaves.
- Whip together the icing sugar with the remaining cream. Mix the two cream mixtures together. Cover and chill for at least an hour in the fridge.
-Serve by dunking the glasses into hot water then tipping on to a serving plate.
For the compote
Combine blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a saucepan.
Toss to coat and let sit for 5 minutes.
Bring berry mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce has reduced and thickened slightly, 15 to 20 minutes.
Cool slightly and serve warm, or refrigerate for later use.
Mixture will thicken further as it cools. Enjoy!