For this recipe in our line up we are showcasing coriander, a vibrant and classic herb used throughout many cuisines around the world. Coriander leaves and seeds have many health benefits as they are full of vitamin K, which plays an important role in helping your blood clot. This dish combines the rich flavours of Indian cuisine with an abundance of fresh produce, so let's get started!
Ingredients (it's a big one!)
- 2 Poblano Peppers, charred, skins and seeds removed
- 1 Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Potato, diced into small cubes - 1-2 Thai Green Chili, finely chopped
- 1 cup Poha or Flattened Rice - 1/4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt, divided into 3/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 5-6 Curry Leaves pinch of Asafetida
Ingredients for Confit Spiced Mushroom:
- 1 lb Portobello Mushrooms
- 7-8 cloves of Garlic, peeled and kept whole
- 2-3 Shallots, peeled and kept whole
- 3 Red Chillis, whole
- 14.5 oz Grape Tomatoes, whole
- 1.5 oz Ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds, roughly crushed
- 2 tsp Coriander, roughly crushed
- 1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1/8 tsp dried Fenugreek Leaves, crushed (optional)
- 1 tsp Sugar 1 tsp Salt 1 cup Olive Oil
Ingredients for the Tomatillo Salsa:
- 4 Tomatillos, finely chopped
- 1- 2 Thai Green Chili
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Arils
- 1 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
-1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
1. Pre heat the over 150C.
2. Clean the Portobello Mushroom and place them on a deep baking dish. Add all the other ingredients along with the Olive Oil and give it a good stir. Be careful to not break the mushrooms.
3. Cover tightly with aluminum foil or if the baking dish has a lid, the lid and place it in the oven. Bake it for 75 mins - giving the whole mix a good stir halfway through the baking.
4. While the mushrooms are baking, prepare the rest of the recipe.
5. Combine all the ingredients for the salsa, stir together, check for salt. Cover and keep it aside.
6. Char the Poblano Peppers over a grill or on the stove until they blacken on all sides. Transfer the charred peppers to a bowl and cover it. Keep it aside for 10 mins.
7. To a strainer, add the Poha / Flattened Rice. Rinse it under running water until it turns soft (press a flake between your two fingers, it should break easily). Add the Lemon Juice, 1/4 tsp Salt and Sugar to the washed Poha and let it rest.