Introducing our recipe series!
Struggling to integrate fresh herbs and plants into your diet? At Hydrogrow we can help change that by providing recipes that include the fresh herbs grown with The Halo. This week we are focusing on Basil!
Basil is full of antioxidants helping to ease digestion and promote healthy gut function.
As spring approaches, why not try this quick and simple salad with freshly baked ciabatta croutons in a balsamic vinaigrette. Top with seared pesto chicken & fresh basil and it's ready to enjoy!
For 2 people (double for 4)
- 250g British diced chicken breast
- 125g mozzarella ball
- 1 ciabatta
- 45g classic basil nut pesto
- 50g pea shoots
- 15ml balsamic vinegar
- 10g basil
- 125g baby plum tomatoes
You’ll also need
Olive oil, pepper, salt
1. Let's begin!!
Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C (fan)/ gas 7
Heat a large, wide-based pan with a drizzle of olive oil over a high heat.
2. Tear the ciabatta into bite-sized pieces and add to a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil.
Add the tray in the oven for 6-7 min until golden and crispy – and your crispy ciabatta croutons are done!
3. Once the pan is hot, add the diced chicken breast with the pesto and cook for 8-10 min or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. While the chicken is cooking, cut the plum tomatoes in half and wash the pea shoots. Add the pea shoots to a large bowl alongside the halved baby plum tomatoes.
5. Drain the mozzarella and cut the mozzarella into bite-sized pieces.
6. Add the balsamic vinegar to a separate bowl with 2 tbsp olive. Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
7. Pick the basil leaves from their stalks. Add the mozzarella and basil leaves to the tomato and pea shoot salad and mix it all together – there you have your caprese salad.
8. Remove the chicken from the heat once cooked and chop into small pieces.
Serve the salad topped with the pesto chicken and the crispy ciabatta croutons.
Drizzle over any remaining pesto from the pan.
Pour over the balsamic vinaigrette