Welcome to our "Herb it up!" recipe series as part of our recipe book launch!
We wanted to bring our community together to promote the use of herbs in recipes with a fun book which would allow everyone from flexible foodies through to culinary frequenters to find new and innovative ways to access herbs into their diets.
This book sets out a variety of different recipes from chefs in our open call as well as herb spotlights discussing their benefits and also some recipes from our team!
We hope you enjoy our recipe book and find a new staple to add into your roster of recipes as well as learning more about how to cook with herbs and the great benefits they bring!
Our first recipe is by one of our own team, Masha Nosova, a Business and Operations Associate at HydroGrow!
So what do you need?
Two slices of toasted sourdough bread
1 Perfectly ripe large avocado
Freshly chopped red bell peppers
Finely chopped fresh red onion
Finely chopped cherry tomatoes
Extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
Teaspoon of Two Birds Cereal turmeric & chilli breakfast topper
2 fried eggs (optional)
Freshly harvested coriander from your Halo
Now let's get to making!
- Toast your slices of bread until firm and golden - we like to use our local bakery’s sourdough full of seeds & grains. the different types of seeds like rye kernels, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds make for a very rich loaf bursting with flavours and perfect for a wholesome breakfast or brunch
- Prepare, wash and finely dice your red peppers, red onion and cherry tomatoes - vibrant red veggies are proven to give the immune system a boost and also act as a powerful antioxidant, so we try to incorporate them as much as we can into our diets! We are also wary of using fresh produce that also protects the world and its environment so we try to buy locally sourced fresh vegetables that not only help in reducing the environmental impact of food miles but support our local community and farmers!
- Pit the avocado - cut your avocado in half and using a big spoon, scoop out the flesh and smooth it out in your bowl, using a bit of extra virgin olive to make it super creamy and delicious. Picking the right avocado is very important, a ripe avocado will be slightly darker in colour and feel a little soft in under pressure in your palm.
- Mix together - once you have mashed your avocado well, add all your finely diced veggies and mix together to form a guacamole paste!
- Fry your eggs in a pan - this step is optional but we can promise that if you’re a stranger to the fried egg edition to guacamole on toast then you are missing out! We tend to cook ours over low heat for around 3 minutes, adding some salt and pepper for taste. Poached, scrambled or soft boiled eggs are welcome too!
- Garnish - the most important part! It really is what takes this simple dish to the next level and bustle with flavour. We love to use the aromatic and fresh touch of coriander that we harvest ourselves from the Halo. You can’t forget the salt, pepper and even a pinch of spicy red chilly flakes if you like the extra kick. We love to also kickstart our mornings with Two Birds Cereal breakfast toppers, with the turmeric and chilli super seeds going perfectly with our guacamole on toast.
And there you have it! A quick Sunday brunch dish to get your day going! Make sure to download our recipe book.
For every recipe book downloaded, a donation will be made to the Anthony Nolan Foundation, making lifesaving connections between patients in need and incredible strangers ready to donate their stem cells.